Tuesday, April 21, 2009

York, April 18, 2009

Note: I am posting York first as it is shorter than Scotland (coming soon):

I traveled to York for the day to escape rural life and see what the city is about.

I went with my coworkers Farrah and Ben who are new arrivals to the jobsite. I drove for the longest period yet (about 1.5 hrs). It went well only a couple of wrong turns due to the nuvi telling me the wrong exit off the round about. Found a parking lot with vacancies but was not prepared with 10 GBP in change to pay the toll. I went and bought a "kinder egg" (chocolate egg with toy in the middle) so the cafe would give me some change to pay the meter.

Visited the York Minster and did the "do it all" pass. This included the main level, undercroft and the tower. I was not prepared for how narrow the stairs would get, 25". Crazy- but we made it. Then we walked around the streets of York (lots of shopping). Found the shambles, which is a tiny road back from medieval times. It is pretty commercialized now.

We then drove north of York a little while to see Castle Howard- we took pics from the outside as it was getting ready to close. I did by some things from their glass shop though. A few miles up the road was "York Lavender". Thinking it would be a purple field I followed the signs- to a 5 mile drive and some disappointment that is was tiny little bushes here and there and not in full bloom.

Left York and drove back to Scotter for my birthday dinner with "BV South"

Pics:

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=d4bd29baeefbdd84&sid=0Eas2rdy0bMnEg


Here's some info on York:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York

No comments: